We have established a virtual university centre to support cross-disciplinary research and development of artificial intelligence for medicine, biomedical science and healthcare. Here are our aims.
- Achieve a breakthrough in the understanding and treatment of complex diseases. This will require developing new methods, breaking the barriers between machine learning/AI and biomedicine, and using these methods to discover new links and causal relationships among clinical data, genetic data, proteomic data, metabolic data and more
- Achieve a breakthrough in personalised healthcare delivery, including effective administration of treatments over time, and in the way in which clinical trials are conducted.
- Develop cutting-edge AI methodologies and technologies (including patents) that are transformative for medicine and healthcare delivery and build demonstrators to showcase the potential of AI in medicine.
- Through support from our backers, AstraZeneca and GSK, we are funding five PhD co-supervised studentships per year to drive cross-disciplinary research and clinical implementation.
- Organise regular roundtable days focused on bringing interested Cambridge scientists and clinicians together with national and international leaders and industry partners to identify and formalise problems, produce consensus white papers on the basis of the emerging ideas, and establish ourselves as the nationally and internationally recognised think tank for AI in medicine.
- We will host a regular seminar series in which internationally recognised leaders present their work and ideas.
- Work with industry partners to develop ideas and discuss their implementation with industry and NHS partners.